Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Marmite banned in Denmark


Marmite has "joined Rice Crispies, Shreddies, Horlicks and Ovaltine prohibited in Denmark under legislation forbidding the sale of food products with added vitamins as threat to public health." (Telegraph via twitter.) Reactions vary (for the record, mine = neutral amusement, though I have always wanted to try Guinness Marmite):
  • "They don't like it because it's foreign," [Lyndsay Jensen, a Yorkshire born graphic designer working in Copenhagen] said. "But if they want to take my Marmite off me they'll have to wrench it from my cold dead hands." 
  • "Something is lovely in Denmark." - Elizabeth McCracken
  • A spokesman for the Danish Veterinary and Food Administration said: "I cannot comment on the Marmite case because our expert is away until Thursday." 
Bonus Telegraph link about a serial Marmite thief who "was spotted several times on CCTV walking into the garage and taking dozens of pots of the spread."

[And the inevitable etymological note:
French marmite cooking pot (14th cent.), of uncertain origin (compare post-classical Latin marmita (1318–19 in a British source) < French): the theory that it is < Old French marmite hypocrite, on the grounds that it conceals its contents, is not convincing.
I remember wondering once if "marmalade" and "Marmite" were etymologically related; apparently not...]

2 comments:

Jenny Davidson said...

Not too long ago I saw someone wearing a Marmite cycling jersey - I WANT ONE!

Zed said...

Definitely, though it _might_ be asking for trouble on some roads...