Thursday, February 21, 2013

Parallel passages

1. Paul Muldoon, "White Shoulders":
My heart is heavy. For I saw Fionnuala,
"The Gem of the Roe," "The Flower of Sweet Strabane,"
when a girl reached down into a freezer bin
to bring up my double scoop of vanilla.
2. Peter Porter, "Homage to Gaetano Donizetti":
There was a sugar farmer's son (hyperthyroid)
I knew who was just like Nemorino,
And a girl in the Everest Milk Bar
Whose tits rubbed the cold of the ice cream churn
As she reached down with her cheating scoop--
You saw more if you asked for strawberry--
NB (i) As advice, this is inconclusive. (ii) I am not aware of anything Muldoon wrote about Porter or vice versa, though one expects that they'd have had a fair bit in common. (Other than Muldoon being a much better poet of course.) Re Porter, I refer you to this post which includes all you need to know. 

For the relevance of cold in this context, see also this bit from a Richard Wilbur poem:
liquor went
Like an ice-pick in my mind. 
Beneath her skirt I spied
Two sea-cows on a floe.
"Go talk to Mary Jo, son,
She's reading a book inside."

3 comments:

a giant squid said...

Dear Sir,
I have by accident become an avid reader of your blogs and drool over your literary references, and as such was shocked! to find such a damning dismissal of Peter Porter, whom I find to have an ear for the very fine line between satire, modern kitsch and true feeling.
"Well, at forty, the grievances lie around/ like terminal moraine..."
On that note, may I pass on to you also this very fine Snout,
http://www.swisseduc.ch/glaciers/axel_heiberg/crusoe_glacier/crusoe_glacier_east/index-en.html?id=0
with my compliments, and the faint hope that a million other people have not yet made the same Snout-gag.
Kat

Sarang said...

Oh but I like Porter! I'm sorry if I implied otherwise, I tend to sound grumpier than I mean...

And it is a fine snout!

Sena Amour said...

It's wedding season and time to start planning out how to shop stylish clothing for your upcoming events. The “rules” of what to wear to weddings can be quite different depending on the day, time, and location. Here are a few highlights that you won't want to miss: Informal Daytime: Short and colorful dresses or pretty skirts for the ladies Informal Evening: This is the perfect time to pull out that little black dress or any of your other cocktail attire. Semi-Formal Day/Evening: Short dresses or cocktail dresses. During the day, it's better to wear colors other than black to avoid looking too formal. Black Tie: Long and classy cocktail dresses are required for a black tie wedding. You can get away with something shorter if it's dressed up with jewelry and other glamorous accessories. A Few Do's & Don'ts Don't...
......Thanks for sharing more information Plus Size Tops For Women | Plus Size Clothes for Women | Curves Plus Size Trendy Dresses | Tops and Bottoms for Women and Juniors | Glamour Amour