Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Elizabeth Bishop on rioting


I googled the first line this morning and was surprised to find no search results; surely I can't be the first person to think of this particular parody? I apologize for the badness of it, I am not as patient nor as competent as I was five years ago so it is very half-assed/hurried. Nevertheless, I thought it was interesting how closely one could follow the original...

Another Art

The art of looting isn’t hard to master.
Shop-windows all seem built with the intent
to be smashed, so their breaking’s no disaster.

Loot something every day. Accept the fluster
of fleeing cops, of nights unsafely spent.
The art of looting isn’t hard to master.

Then practice looting farther, looting faster:
cafes, and homes, and where it was you meant
to drink next. None of these will bring disaster.

I snagged some marble busts (or were they plaster?),
destroyed some churches and a monument:
the art of looting isn’t hard to master.

I knifed some bitches, stole their shit; I glassed a
photographer or two. In the event
they tased me, but it wasn’t a disaster.

--Even stuck in jail (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan’t have lied. It’s evident
the art of looting isn’t hard to master,
though it may end (spray-paint it!) in disaster.

(with apologies to Elizabeth Bishop and a vague nod to Dice)

No comments: